When a respondent, after selecting an answer (e.g. main category) in a single response question, also needs to select an answer at a lower level (e.g. subcategory), you can adhere to the following procedure:
- Include a single response question in your survey and indicate that this question is mandatory.
- Specify under Answer choices all main categories (e.g. Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences) from which the respective respondent should select only one.
- Click on the ellipsis sign, i.e. the 3 vertical dots (framed in red), in order for some settings to be displayed for each listed answer choice.
- Tick the checkboxes next to the settings Add text entry, Force response and Autocomplete (1).
- Please specify then all underlying subcategories (2) belonging to the respective main category in the text box under Autocomplete. Each subcategory must be entered on a separate line in the text box.
- Select the Values listed in autocomplete option (3) under Response data type.
If you have set up the question this way, a participant will NOT only have to select a main category, BUT ALSO an underlying subcategory.